How to accept a permission
You'll know that you've received permission to reference another user's dataset in two ways:
- you'll receive an email at your registered email address
- when you log into Dataset Manager, you'll see the new permission listed under Pending Permissions on the Dashboard tab.
Before you can reference this dataset, you'll need to accept the permission. To do this:
- Click the View button on the Dashboard, or switch to the Incoming Permissions tab.
- Find the dataset in the list shown. You may be able to identify it using the status icon, which shows that Dataset Manager is waiting for you to accept the permission.
- Drop down the Action menu and select Accept.
Once you've accepted the permission, you'll be prompted to change the Private ID. This is the name you'll use to reference this dataset from the Platform API.
A short descriptive name, like
customerDB, is perfect. Because you'll use it in code, this ID must contain only alphanumeric characters with no spaces.
As the name suggests, the Private ID is private to you. The person who shared the dataset also has a Private ID for this dataset - but it is different to yours, and changing yours doesn't affect theirs.